Second library The second Gatesville Public Library location, also known as the old Chamlee building, was located on Main Street less than a block away from the original 1937 library. Photo courtesy of Faye Nichols
Present library The present Gatesville Public Library is ironically located just across the street from its original 1937 building, where it first began. Photo by David Scott
History of the Library, part two
On Aug. 2, 1970, the Gatesville Public Library was dedicated as the first event in celebration of Gatesville’s Centennial. The library would remain in this location for the next thirty-three years.
Around 2000, talks began of building a newer and larger library facility. A lot was chosen on 8th Street across from City Hall...just a stone’s throw from it’s original 1937 location. The new facility would have approximately 7,000 square feet in comparison to the 5,000 square feet in the Main Street structure.
J.L. Construction was awarded the bid on the $765,700 project. Groundbreaking took place in May of 2002 with Gatesville Mayor James Erwin officially breaking the ground with about 25 in attendance.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Gatesville%20MessengerID440/